Monday, August 25, 2008

Thoughts on School

Of course, in all the fun and excitement of planning a course of education and remembering how fun it is to learn and how many cool things there are to learn, my prayer is that I will not lose sight of the real purpose behind it all. Matt and I listened to some comments by C. J. Mahaney this weekend about family and the church, and one point he made stuck out to me in the midst of school stuff...we are preparing our children for eternity. Math and reading and science and history, homemaking and exercise, everything else is useless and meaningless to our children if they do not get the reason behind it all, the purpose for learning all of these things, the One who created all of these things and holds them together and makes them work...they need to be prepared for eternity, not just to live and work and function on this earth. Education is important, but it is because it shows us multiple facets of our Creator, it points us to Him in His glory, His beauty, His otherness; it reminds us that we are but human and cannot know anything fully, but it also reminds us that He is God and can be known BY US! I want my purpose to be that of the Apostle Paul, who says:

"My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." (Col. 2:2-3)

We proclaim him, admonishing and teaching everyone with all wisdom, so that we may present everyone perfect in Christ. To this end I labor, struggling with all his energy, which so powerfully works in me." (Col. 1:28-29)

And the encouragement is that it is His energy that will work in us! So, you will know how to pray for us this school year! And we certainly appreciate your prayers!

2 comments:

  1. Great food for thought, Mary! Thanks for the reminder especially when I'm feeling anxious about the beginning of the school year for my kids!
    Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you! my first day of teaching starts tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete